While some see August as the worst month of the year, I see it as simply a prelude to the greatness that is fall in Dallas.
Yes, it’s still 90+ outside, but there are faint glimmers of what is soon to come in September. Cooler weather, regular season football, and fried foods.
I used the same breading the recipe called for, however, the base of the “tofish” I thought needed some modification. The easy mock tuna-salad I make uses garbanzo beans as the base, which to me, has a slightly fishy flavor – so I felt that was the key in taking this recipe to the next level.
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 tbsp kelp granules
- 1 tbsp flax seeds + 2 tbsp water
- Grind flax seeds into fine powder
- Mix with water to make a sticky paste
- In separate bowl, mash garbanzo beans well with a fork
- Mix in crumbled well pressed tofu
- Mix in kelp granules
- Mix in flax seed paste
- Form into bite-sized nuggets
- dredge in soy-milk
- coat in cornmeal mixture
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1 tsp cajun spice (or chili powder)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- salt to taste (after frying)
Fry these up in some canola oil, and you have yourself some tasty tofish bites that rivals any of the fried food the State Fair dishes out.
Enjoy these with some vegan tarter sauce, fries, and a cold British ale, and you have yourself one happy reminder of the great times ahead in September and beyond!